I love this skirt from @pinupgirlclothing ! I am obsessed with Italy, yellow, and border prints, so this skirt hits all the marks with me! #me #ootd #pinupgirlclothing #venice #italy #fashion #borderprint
I know summer is long over, but I finally made something out of my Pineapple Whips fabric design: an off-shoulder, dirndl-inspired dress from the "Patterns by Gertie" line (Butterick B6322). I deviated from the sewing pattern a little bit, and added an elastic neckline and armholes instead of using seam binding, as well as added pockets because they make my life so much easier. Fully lined, all edges serged and finished, and the zipper only a *little* wonky–it's probably the cleanest garment I have ever constructed so far. #sewing #fashion #diy #sewingproject #surfacedesign #dolewhip #pineapplewhip #textiledesign #spoonflower #illustration #butterick #butterickb6322 #butterick6322 #b6322 #patternsbygertie #ootd
I scraped off my paint palette to start a new painting, and it inspired me to make this surface pattern design, and gave me a vision for my next sewing project (Simplicity 8051). This design should be available soon as fabric, wallpaper, and gift wrap in my Spoonflower shop. #design #surfacedesign #pattern #painting #painter #oilpainting #art #artist #artoninstagram #fashion #sewing #spoonflower #wip #designidea #paintpalette
Sewed up a quick dress this afternoon while the baby napped, made out of my "Poolka Dots" design printed on Spoonflower's modern jersey. I think it perfectly expresses my cynical side, especially since a lot of my life right now is comprised of dealing with literal poop. #design #fashion #spoonflower #sewing #emoji #me #ootd
One of the few good things about being short: being able to shop in the little kids section for legit gangster gym shirts. The leggings are designed by me, available in my Society6 shop! https://society6.com/jaanabaker #ootd #society6 #tmnt #fitness #gymoutfit #gymfashion #fashion #design #surfacedesign
I have never really thought about putting my designs up for sale on Society 6 until recently, and just in time for them to start offering custom leggings! Naturally, I was stoked at the idea of all-over-print apparel, and I ordered a pair almost as soon as I found out. I decided to get some with my Paper Cut-Out Video Game Controllers design on them. I’ve been going to the gym fairly regularly since I got a membership a couple of months ago, and I was excited at the thought of wearing something other than the usual, bland, mass-produced workout wear. In a sea of people oozing vanity, I like to pretend that I am immune and that I am still a unique snowflake. Like me in the above photo, you can really let your dork flag fly. Here are my thoughts:
– Quick turnaround. Considering that it is a custom-made item, the turnaround was fantastic. I ordered them on a Friday, and received them the following Friday. Impressive. This really beats out some other businesses that will print custom clothing, but comes from overseas countries like China. (I am in California.)
– The fabric they use is nice: thick enough so that it feels durable and slightly compressing, but not thick enough so that you will die of hyperthermia if you wear them while working out.
– Good print quality. Details and colors are intact.
– The overall grey color came out lighter than I was anticipating.
– Slightly see-through. I don’t know if this will apply to a darker color print, but I would not be comfortable going commando or wearing thongs under these, especially at the gym. It’s not too bad in a neutral position, but you can see through them if you bend over when, for example, you are doing some dead lifts. In the photos, I am wearing boy shorts underneath, because A) I don’t like things riding up my butt while I am working out, and B) I am sure no one wants to see my vulva when I strike a Down Dog. You can also wear shorts over them if you’re worried about this sort of thing.
– The stitching on the top of the waistband is a little tight, so if you have hips, it might prove difficult to pull them past the hips to your waist. I’m not all that hippy, and even I had some trouble. Once I was able to wriggle them up, though, they fit my waist perfectly and didn’t ride down at all, even through a rigorous workout. Maybe I should have ordered a size up? I don’t know.
My family threw me a superhero-themed baby shower today, and I thought I would make a special piece to wear for the occasion. I sewed this tunic out of my “Onomatopoeia!” fabric design printed on Performance Knit from Spoonflower. It was my first time working with knits, but this material is amazing: light, great drape, and the colors come out particularly vivid on this. It’s also got some moisture control, so ideas for athletic apparel are endless! You can purchase this fabric in my Spoonflower store! http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/jaana #spoonflower #fabric #design #sewing #fashion #me #pregnancy #maternity